Home About Us  |  Services  |  Projects  | News  |  LinksContact

Do you neeD an energy Performance certificate?

If you are building, selling or letting a building over 50m then you need an EPC.

ILES Consulting Ltd are fully accredited to provide Non Domestic Energy Performance Certificates.  Please contact us to discuss your requirements.


Since 1 October 2008, EPCs have been a legal requirement when any commercial building over 50m is built, sold or let.  An EPC sets out the energy efficiency grade of a commercial building by rating it from A-G with A being the most efficient.  This is based on the performance potential of the building itself (the fabric) and its services (such as heating, ventilation and lighting).  There are three types of buildings under the EPC requirements which relate to the complexity of the building being assessed and will affect the type of EPC assessor you will need:

These are commercial properties that are very similar to domestic premises in the fabric and services present, such as simple heating, natural ventilation or comfort cooling systems (for example a block of shops with fats above them).  These buildings are commonly assessed by a Level 3 assessor using Simplified Building Energy Model (SBEM) software.

These have advanced features which can be calculated by a Level 4 assessor using SBEM software.  Level 4 assessors have experience in buildings where both fabric and services installations that are not found in domestic buildings (for example, HVAC systems) are present.  They are also able to assess new-build properties from plans.

Trading Standards have the duty of enforcement and the penalty for not making an EPC available to any prospective buyer or tenant when selling or letting non-dwellings is up to 5000 (depending on the value of the building).  In addition to the penalty, it is still necessary to commission the EPC.


Make sure you're up to speed ...
Sign up


Copyright 2010 ILES Consulting Ltd |terms & conditions of website usage|